Saturday, 8 August 2015

No more No's

Pushing boundaries. That is my lesson today.
Hermit life thus far has only served me in that I've watched way too many hours of tv.
Today I knew there was going to be a outdoor yoga class in the park, and though I hadn't literally been out of my house for a week, I felt the pull to stay in my sweats more fiercely than ever.
Not only was it strong but it felt natural to decline. But I felt I had to do this. Not only because it felt uncomfortable but because I realized when you are in a shlump (slum + shit dump) of a situation, you've got to push yourself out. Staying home would have been just digging deeper into the hole and that certainly won't get me out to the top.
So I went.
And it was awesome.

Not only physically challenging and tiring, but thoroughly mind diverting. I mean you can't really worry about how you're going to pay rent, what your life's mission is, or what to eat for dinner when you are in a pose that is basically throwing your legs over your head and your body is screaming in places you didn't know existed until that point. Basically by the end Savasana ( a convenient pose which is basically an excuse to be comatose on your back) I felt relaxed and limber.
The park marina was bathed in gold as the sun set and we sat in a group and ate our fruit offerings like kids, passing around strawberries and sucking on melon pieces.
I was going to head back home but a few guys a field over were playing night frisbee with a light up disc that looked freakishly awesome in the night, like a hovering alien spaceship floating directly at you. They asked if I wanted to join. Being shy I felt I should decline, but again why? Why is saying no my natural answer?
So I said yes.

And I played for a good while, running and diving for hard throws and squealing with delight when they caught my badly aimed ones. All with the ocean and the twinkling lights of lolling boats glimmering in glassy surface of the calm water behind me like this big beautiful backdrop.
I'm reminded how sometimes you have to take a chance, push yourself out of comfort, and sometimes literally throw off the sweats to really experience a good night.
Pushing boundaries. My new goal. Hope I can stick to it.
No more no's for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment