Sunday, 30 December 2012

Pockets of Peace

I never understood what artists meant when they said that they are not the creators of their work, that some energy or God works through them and they are just the instrument. But a couple nights ago I was having this static energy in my hands before I was getting ready for bed. My mind was sagging and tired but I felt like I had to write, like I had this pent up poem in my hands that had to come out otherwise it would keep me awake. So I wrote. And usually I detest poetry, or at least my own. I am no poet. But after I came up with this one, I feel like maybe I could start.

I think I'll call it Staying up with God.

                 

I don't have much to say,
other than I talk too much. 
I skip sounds in my feet
add lyrics to a beat
but I don't know how to be quiet.
Thoughts push like a crowd
and each one is loud
but I don't want to buy it.

Because when I become still
each feeling in me is filled
with  consistent one.
I don't have to be pretty or impressive 
or act tough or aggressive 
as a spirit I am done. 

But these pockets of peace 
are hard to keep 
and in that way (or in of it itself) become vital
In this world that can so easily crash
we drink booze and smoke hash 
to keep away the darkness which comes like a tidal.

That's why you have to grow your glow
reap what you sow 
and know that everyone is here for a reason
Go confidently into life
bring joy into strife
and love yourself, because God never plans for treason.

Repeat, "I am me, I am me
I am strong I am free
and if not then I'm getting there."

I'm no saint or sage 
but I got a pen and this page 
and this is what i've come to share.

They will tell in life: be that or do this 
But to know self,  to know God
my advice,
follow your bliss. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I have never read anything so powerful, true and flow. the flow. this poem is the flow. u r in the flow. wow. Thank u

    ReplyDelete