Monday, 31 March 2014

Look Up

I realize its not purpose I'm so obsessed with but communication. Communication in the broadest sense of the word. The way we communicate information. The way a stranger communicates an idea to another in a way that outlines his thoughts to become a clear imprint in theirs. The way a mother communicates through touch to her baby. The way lovers can understand each others gestures like their own language. The way the digital system teaches and withholds to convince of certain attitudes which are not our own. The way the old communicate to the young. The way stories, books, plays, music, art, dance, and healing all tell stories that are both specific and personal, yet universally understood at the same time. The way emotion is communicated through the body, or art, or speech, or even just gestures. Communication does not = connection. But, Connection= the purpose of communication. Whether we notice it or not, its there every day in every way, nudging and waving, and smiling and yes sometime flipping us off, yet at the same time trying to open us up to the new. Or maybe its the old. Things we know but must must relearn, or be made aware of again. Like walking. We did have to learn that remember? But somehow the beauty of it got lost in the casual ordinary use of it everyday. But then all you have to do is look at a person in a wheelchair and BOOM. You remember, yes I have it good, I am lucky, I can walk, I should be more thankful, I should realize some have it rougher. All from the image, the sight, the communication of seeing a person pushing their wheelchair past you.

Just the other day I realized how simple communication is if you are willing to receive it, or at least paying attention to the beauty of its simple forms. It's sad to say but in the technology age, I find people actually more concerned with the communicating part, but less about the connection part of it. We email, text, yes even blog, but do we talk to people on the bus who sit right beside us? Do we smile at strangers? Do we even make the time to wave anymore? That last one especially.

It hit me like a hot bullet the other day how pleasing a wave and a smile can be between two people. Because honestly i am guilty of being caught up in my own world and forgetting to do it myself. Preoccupied and busy to consider looking up from the vortex which usually surrounds my head wherever i go. Remember those cartoons that had those storm or raining clouds above them to show that they were troubled? Well mine in a tornado.

Anywho, I was biking up the residential streets on my home from school awhile back and as usually i was in one of my preoccupied moods. Not even noticing cars much (almost got run over by some tard who came fast up behind me). And then for some reason I looked over to my right and there was this little old man about to cross the street. Classic grandpa with funny golf pants and tucked in shirt, little cabbie hat and big half moon glasses. And as I passed him, I literally heard in my head, "Turn back," as if he had spoken aloud. I thought it would look strange if I did, but hell the pull of those words and this feeling like he was emanating, I turned my head over me shoulder. And he smiled. And I smiled. And I waved. And he waved. And in that one second I turned the corner, and he was gone from sight. But in the one second, we had transpired. We had connected. Yes sounds like an overstatement or me making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I that second I remembered what it is to feel weightless in my heart. To know that we are all here. We all have problems. And the world is always going to be hard and rough. But that shared appreciation of us remembering we are all together, that we all know what it is to keep going, and that acknowledgement of each other in that one wave. That one gesture of appreciated kindness in a way gives me hope for the next month even, to try that much harder to love life. And to love others.

Sufficient to say, its proven, a wave can save a life. A smile can boost a persons day. A conversation can make a friend. An apology can change a future. A hug can deepen a relationship. A compliment can start one. Telling a joke can make history. None of these things can happen via text. None of these things happen when you're looking down. So look up. If not to save your mood, than to to save connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment